Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Backpacks for Kids


It has been almost a month since we have been back home from Africa. I can't stop thinking about those kids and what I can do to somehow make a difference in their lives. One thing that really affected me was the eduction for the children. The government schools are different in Africa, meaning that there are still fees to be paid for a public education and supplies to be bought for school. This of course means that many of the children don't get to go to school at all because even the smallest of fees can't be paid by many of the caretakers of these children. The supplies we could buy on one trip to Wal Mart or Target would take them a year to save up for and buy. When we got home, I knew there had to be something to do about this. As God would have it, Children's Cup is just launching a program called "Engage". This program has various projects listed where one can get involved. One such project would be under the education section entitled "backpacks". This is just up my alley! So I am on the team to try and raise 5,000 backpacks filled with school supplies to be shipped to the Carepoints in Africa in early 2008. If you would like to get involved, please let me know. Right now, school supplies are so cheap and you can get a backpack and supplies for under $30 or even cheaper! That's only a week without your Starbucks! Please go to www.childrenscup.org/v2/engage/?p=16 if you want to find out more. You can either purchase these items yourself or make a donation and we will purchase the items for you. I will post a list of some ideas for things to go in the backpacks. Thanks!!!

1 comment:

kristishack said...

You GO girlfriend! We had such an awesome trip and I know that our lives will be forever changed. I'm excited to see all that our team is doing since we've been back.
I was at a conference where Rick Warren was speaking and he said "one drop of rain doesn't do anything, but a million turns a desert into a lush garden." Think of how we could change a nation if we unite together and do our part!
I love you guys and can't wait till we can get together again.